Wacky Reference Wednesdays, No. 357

Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Amazing Spider-Man #638, Pages 11-12. 2010. Ink on Marvel board, 22 × 17.25″.

(This was originally posted as WRW No. 164. I couldn't find any other art with a 357 Magnum)

Sometimes the reference isn't a photo, but a panel or sequence from another story. Such was the case in this spread from One Moment in Time. My task was to recompose a small panel from Amazing Spider-Man Annual #21 into a double-page splash (with ample room for title and credits).





Additional reference was needed to "beef up" various architectural details, so Google Sketchup models were incorporated directly into my digital composite, where things like perspective and composition are refined. The generic man flying in the background served as a placeholder—something that could give me a sense of relative scale. As often happens, I followed my gut and just made the high-strung criminal as big as I wanted.



And this is where it all starts, an 8 × 6″ layout that hits all the major notes. You can view the final colored art here. There's even more behind-the-scenes planning that went into the following page, but I'll have to save that for another post.




AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #638, Pages 11-12. 2010.
Ink with digital color on Marvel board, 21.5 x 17.25"

4 comments :

  1. You broke into comics by painting right? Is it posSible to do it now? Awesome work man!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep — I painted all my work until 2008. I still think painting has its place, but I don't recommend it for sequential work. It's great for drawing attention to yourself, which is very helpful when first starting out.

      Delete
  2. So it's great to start off , but not in the long run?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From a career-standpoint, yes. As in "time is money." It's still a worthwhile pursuit in general, and I'm always happy to see it done well.

      Delete

Copyright © The Self-Absorbing Man
Design out of the FlyBird's Box.