Doctor Strange Commission

Monday, October 30, 2017

DOCTOR STRANGE. 2017.
Gouache & Acryla Gouache on paper, 9 × 12″.

This commission from earlier in the year took 11 hours, prep to scan. I had great reference (thanks to my previous work for the movie) and basically just copied a single photo. If only it were always that easy. Typically, I end up trying to interpolate 2 or more different photos into something new (typically a bad idea).


detail of raw scan

At the bottom, you can see how I try to lock down the drawing in a single wash — Sepia Holbein Gouache, in this case. The face is always toughest, so I saved it for last. I must've done okay, though, since my Photos App now thinks I know Mr. Cumberbatch.


detail of raw scan


work in progress snapshot

5 comments :

  1. Man. The shading on his skin. It honestly looks like you just used a filter in Photoshop. It looks too damn good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The smooth tones and transitions are mostly transparent washes. I tend to go opaque only when I have a particular stroke in mind.

      Delete
  2. This looks awesome! How do u prepare the paper before you paint? because when I paint it tends to shrivel up and have a bendy surface.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! To answer your question... I do nothing at all :) This was painted on watercolor paper (a watercolor block, to be specific, which keeps the paper glued flat at the edges until you peel it away). For painted covers, I typically use Strathmore 500 series 3-ply bristol board (again, doing nothing special but taping it down).

      Delete
  3. Hello again! For your gouache bust works they look transparent in some areas. Do you usually build up a couple of transparent layers and then use opaques in certain areas?

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © The Self-Absorbing Man
Design out of the FlyBird's Box.