Wacky Reference Wednesdays, No. 233

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Superior Spider-Man Team-Up #1. 2013.
Ink(ed by Joe Rivera) on bristol board, 11 × 17″.

It's very (very) rare that my editors at Marvel asks me to revise any artwork, but this was one of those times. After completing the first and second covers of the new Superior Spider-Man Team-Up series, they informed me that his costume had been revamped. Fortunately, they compensated me for the extra time (about 2 hours for each) and gave me a style guide by the always awesome Humberto Ramos. The issue came out a few weeks ago, but if you haven't checked it out, here's a preview. Lastly, I sometimes try out various color schemes to show my editors other options. We ultimately went with my first choice, but you can see the others below.


I want my own official sketch paper!


inks by my Paw
blue-line print of pencils









pencils over digital print
digital sketch

























digital layout

color alternatives

2 comments :

  1. Hi Paulo! I love these process breakdowns. I am curious, why do you go from a digital sketch to traditional pencils, and then print another blue-line sketch? Do you just prefer to clean up a digital sketch traditionally rather than do all your "pencils" digitally? Or is it because you want to have traditional pencils for sale perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A little of both! My Dad and I sell the inks and pencils as pairs, and there's usually not time to send him the original pencils to ink over. I also just like pencils finishes. When I ink for myself, I usually go straight from digital to inks.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © The Self-Absorbing Man
Design out of the FlyBird's Box.