Wacky Reference Wednesdays, No. 223

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Avenging Spider-Man #21 Cover. 2013.
Ink(ed by Joe Rivera) on Marvel board, 11 × 17.25″.
Avenging Spider-Man 21 hits shelves today, the 2nd of 2 issues featuring the Chameleon (preview here). I wanted to show all the masks he utilizes to portray the Secret Avengers, so I left out eyes and teeth, and gave each face a subtle, plastic sheen.  (I don't know how exactly he would disguise himself as the Hulk, but I try not to think about things like that when reading superhero comics) Highlights and reflections can be a challenge, so I took a look at my Sculptris maquettes for reference. I often use the gold material when I need distinct reflections.


and the Oscar goes to...
I had originally planned for Spidey's eye lenses to be looking in different directions, both to show his confusion as well as to reference a chameleon's eyes. Ultimately, my editors wanted a more straight take, but you can see the unedited version in the inks and pencils below.


inks by my Dad
blue-line print of pencils


pencils
digital composite


digital layouts

No comments :

Post a Comment

Copyright © The Self-Absorbing Man
Design out of the FlyBird's Box.