So Long, New York

Sunday, May 12, 2013

This is a cross-post with Muddy Colors — An Illustration Collective



I'm about to move to the Bay Area, so I thought it would be a great time to document my work station as it existed in my New York apartment. I work traditionally, but there is a great deal of digital pre- and post-production in my workflow. Everything fits in and around my drafting table, so my whole studio has a very small footprint. And as you'll see, I really, really love magnets. The video is close to 15 minutes, but it shows pretty much all the tools I use. I've also included links below to some of the equipment I talk about. My printer and scanner are over 4 years old, but they're still working great (assuming they survive the cross-country trip). My apologies for not recording in landscape mode. I wasn't thinking at the time and I'm a little pressed for time with the move, but the basic info is still there. If there is anything I missed below, feel free to ask in the comments.

Humanscale 5G 700 Keyboard Tray
Epson Sylus Photo R1900 Printer
Epson GT-20000 Scanner
Safco B-Size Plan File Cabinet and Caster Base
iMac 27" (this is the new one — mine's a couple years old)
Cintiq 12WX (the new version is the 13HD)
Drawing Board: Max Tile F1 Galvanized Steel Tile (custom cut to 18 × 24″)
Pilot Color Eno Blue Lead
Kuru Toga Mechanical Pencil

I'm also taking a blog break for the next week or so as I move. My next post should be from sunny California. Westward, Ho!

6 comments :

  1. California...or BUST! Have a good move.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the video Paolo. It's cool to see how you do your paintings.

    I hope your move is smooth and safe.

    When you get moved in you should visit the Cartoon Art Museum, the new Superman exhibit has lots of great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the move to one of the coolest places in the U.S., especially for anybody in the arts! Best of luck out there brotha. Sad to see ya go :-P You better still make your way to NYCC!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, everybody!

    Brian: I went to that museum last year for their Avengers exhibit. You can bet I'll be back.

    P.S. Cali is sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Paolo, just a little question, how does the metallic board, stand in the table, is it glued, or does it have a built in stand? Greetings from Guatemala!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used binder clips to attach it to some masonite and shelving brackets. To be perfectly honest, it wasn't as stable as it should've been. Now I use a table top easel. I think the brand is Ravenna.

      Delete

Copyright © The Self-Absorbing Man
Design out of the FlyBird's Box.